Several things I've done that you might not have done
more or less in chronological order:
- Played bass guitar in a production of Godspell.
- Left a drive-in showing of The Blue Lagoon because of a sandstorm. In Detroit.
- Had a paying job gluing googly eyes on small copper nuggets.
- Slept out for Grateful Dead tickets before I had ever seen the Grateful Dead.
- Got credit in a psychology class for learning to draw.
- Have a letter written to me by Jacques Derrida.
- Met Jon Singer in an Afro-Cuban drumming class.
- Was pull-quoted without my permission in a major newspaper, supposedly anonymously but identified in such a way that anyone with any knowledge of my work situation knew it was me.
- Watched a usability test for a computer manual, in which the user held the mouse upside down for 20 minutes. (We rewrote the manual.)
- Was swimming in a pool during the 6.9 Loma Prieta earthquake, whose epicenter was 25 miles away.
- Got my name in the HyperCard 'About' box.
- At the age of 40, went to England to meet my teenage rock star crush and got a hug and smooch from him.
- For several years, have maintained a fat friendly health professionals list on the web.
Alternate version via nellorat:
Eleven unusual things I've done that at least one person on my friends' list may also have done
- Had to quit piano lessons because I got such a huge obsessive crush on my piano teacher that I couldn't bear for him to touch me (he touched my hands to show me how to hold them on the keys).
- Took six hours a day of tennis lessons for a whole summer and by the end was still pretty awful at it.
- Saw Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, and The Runaways on the same bill. With The Runaways headlining.
- DJ'd a punk rock/new wave radio show.
- Saw the Apple 1984 commercial during the 1984 Superbowl.
- Owned an original 128k mac in 1984.
- Went on a tropical vacation on the spur of the moment with a woman I had only met a couple of times (there was no romantic interest involved on either side).
- Taught shamanic journeying and healing techniques.
- Wrote a polyamory web page that appeared briefly on MTV.
- Helped 100s of cats and dogs find new homes.
- Attended an Esalen benefit lecture by John Cleese.
Elaborations on request, and do comment if you have done any of these.