This is my first attempted at a stuffed toy, a Scottie Dog from Toy Knits by Debbie Bliss. It's knit in Red Heart. I have a hard time figuring out how things with a lot of parts go together, and the book doesn't have any diagrams to help (it has photos of the finished toys and written instructions for knitting and sewing the pieces). So it took me forever to figure out how to put it together. The book also doesn't have any instructions on how to seam knitted pieces so the edges disappear into the inside and so there aren't any gaps that the stuffing can get through. So I didn't do a very good job on that either. (I was at Point Reyes when I made this and didn't have any Google access.) Given all that, I think I did an OK job. I've since done some research on seaming, so I now have the knowledge, although I'm not sure I'll ever have the patience.
This scarf is a combination stash-busting and knitting-on-the-bias project. The red yarn is Crystal Palace Shimmer and the black yarn is Lion Brand Glitterspun. Shimmer is a tape and Glitterspun is a sort of mesh. The knitting on the bias part went OK but I had three other problems: I tried to use a slip stitch edging and the yarn kept unraveling down the edge, and I wasn't able to find a way to neatly deal with the yarn when I switched colors. I tried running it up the side and then tying it off afterward, but I'm not happy with the result. Also I tried knitting it in two pieces and then knitting them together so that the bias striping would be mirror-reversed when I wore it, but even though I thought really hard about which way to attach them, there's only so much my brain can do at 3 in the morning while listening to a director's commentary, and I did it the wrong way, so both parts point the same way.
This toy "elephant" is a crochet project from the Fall 2006 issue of the VogueKnitting magazine "knit.1", which is a very silly magazine positioned at preteens and teens. (Hm, OK, the web site says "hip 18-35 year old knitters".) This was in the "geek chic" section.
I decided to use this project to test whether some mystery yarn I acquired in stash swapping would felt. I knit two bodies, one with a scratchy bulky blue yarn, which got fuzzy but didn't really felt per se (but I didn't persist for very long) and this one with multicolor Plymouth Outback Virgin Wool. The Outback yarn felted OK (I didn't persist long enough for the stitches to completely disappear). I used some more of the yarn to make a trunk and ears, which I didn't felt. I think I did a slightly better job with the stitching together than on the toy dog, but I didn't like stitching through the thick felt.
I decided the elephant made a good companion for the knitted Sumo robot that snippy gave me a while back. They're sharing shelf space with our Table Parrot, a Beanie Baby knockoff we bought at a drug store.