A friend of mine who is not on LJ is setting up a sacred space in her house. She sent me the following questions. If you have a sacred space in your home please consider responding in a comment. Feel free to tell other people or relevant communities about this post. I will pass along any responses. Thanks!
I'm interested in hearing about sacred spaces people have set up in their homes. By sacred space, I mean any place dedicated to your spiritual being or practice. It could be an altar in a corner of a room, or a whole room. Or a whole house.
- If you do have a space dedicated to your spirituality, do you have a name for the space? Did you consecrate it in any way?
- Do you have a name for your particular spiritual orientation? Do you practice alone, or do you belong to a group of some kind? If both, how much do you use your own space to practice?
- What sorts of objects are in your sacred space? Where do you find these objects? (E.g. the beach, a metaphysical bookstore, religious supply house, eBay...)
- Do you use incense? What kind, and where do you get it?
- Do you use musical instruments? Recorded music?
- Do you perform rituals (in your sacred space or elsewhere)? What kinds of objects and music do you use?
- How do you determine what kinds of objects/incense/candles etc. you need? (Follow a list in a book, just stumble across 'em, use your intuition, etc.)
- Have you made any objects yourself for use in your spirituality? Would you be willing to describe them, and how you came up with the idea for them?
- Do you allow people into your space who are not into your type of spirituality?