Go off antidepressants. Get cameras on tubes put through my digestive system. Pass a kidney stone. Take a crafting vacation in Inverness with kyubi. Crochet a manta ray puppet. Not fly anywhere at all. Drive to Las Vegas. Take a jewelry-making vacation in Pacifica. Fuse silver rings. Work with resin.
2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make New Year's resolutions. I hope to do springwrite and to go back to my volunteer job doing dog training.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No one particularly close.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No one particularly close.
5. What countries did you visit?
Does Los Angeles count as a country? ;)
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Better mental and physical health. (Actually I got most of it back during the latter half of '08.) More motivation.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
My memories don't tend to be tied in with particular dates.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
A normal CBC.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Maintaining mental health without antidepressants. (I don't think of this as a failure in a moral sense. Just a "well, that didn't work" sense.)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Anemia, gastric bleeding, kidney stone.
11. What was the best thing someone bought you?
I'm not remembering anything specific.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My family and sweeties, who helped me deal with all the medical shit. And I think Obama is pretty nifty too.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
(answer stolen from micheinnz) Oh, there's been the odd person. I do try not to dwell on it, though.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, food, travel.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I never get that excited these days. :/ I got excited about making jewelry and about getting back in touch with Kele. I enjoyed hanging out at the NAAFA convention with auntysocial.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I discovered some great songs but I don't think they will remind me of this specific year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) fatter or skinner? I weigh a few pounds less but I think the word skinny will only apply to me a few months after I'm dead.
c) richer or poorer? I have less money but I have enough. I am richer in health, and am rich in talent and relationships.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How do you plan to spend Christmas?
I spent Christmas with my parents. It wasn't the hotel buffet brunch we planned, because my dad was in bed with a bad back, but I got to spend time with them and exchange a couple of gifts.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I did not fall in love with any new people. My life is full of love though.
22. How many one night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Heroes season 1 on DVD. I think the OH and I watched that this year.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
(answer stolen from micheinnz) Nah, hate takes too much energy.
25. What was the best book you read?
I can't pick just one. Fire Logic and Earth Logic by Laurie Marks, A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, Uncommon Carriers by John McPhee, Dark Reflections by Samuel Delaney, Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (re-read), the Small Change trilogy by Jo Walton, Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks, The Birthday of the World and Other Stories by Ursula K. Le Guin, Dragons of the Mind by Katherine Lampe, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Many of these will not be "2008 discoveries" to most people, because I'm not up on the latest music, but here's some of the music I purchased this year: Rain Dogs by Tom Waits, Two Shoes by The Cat Empire, "Fix You" by Coldplay as performed by the young@heart chorus, via the Young@Heart movie, Det Gamla Landet, via fattest, Renegade Soundwave, The Chemical Brothers, and Muse, I think all of those were via micheinnz, Spanish Steel by Mike Perlowin (partner of auntysocial), various songs including "Mrs. Jones" by Coolio via the Coverville podcast (although I mostly don't listen to the podcast, I only look at the web site), 801 (Live) by Phil Manzanera, "A Thousand Kisses Deep" by Leonard Cohen, via the movie The Good Thief directed by Neil Jordan
27. What did you want and get?
The kidney stone to be on the outside of me
28. What did you want and not get?
Easy access to my creative motivation
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Of films released in 2008 I guess I'll go with Iron Man and Young@Heart. I'm sure there were better films released but I mostly watch films only after they are released on DVD.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 47, and I didn't do anything special.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
No cameras shoved through my digestive system.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Casual, cotton, & Crocs
33. What kept you sane?
The OH, my sweeties, my family, my cats, audiobooks, meditation, http://audiodharma.org, Bubbleshooter
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Alan Rickman and Andy Scott as usual
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Obama, Prop 4, Prop 8
36. Who do you miss?
Ever since Kele (my best friend from high school) got back in touch with me I've missed some other people from my past more than usual.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I got along well with the new doctors I met this year. [sigh]
38. What was the best thing you ate?
I don't know about best, but the most memorable at the moment was the roast duck chow fun that the OH and I and liveavatar had at New Canton restaurant last night.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008?
Yes I really do need antidepressants.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
This doesn't really sum up anything. I just like it.
"Fish & Bird" by Tom Waits
They bought a round for the sailor
And they heard his tale
Of a world that was so far away
And a song that we'd never heard
A song of a little bird
That fell in love with a whale
He said: you cannot live in the ocean
And she said to him:
You never can live in the sky
But the ocean is filled with tears
And the sea turns into a mirror
There's a whale in the moon when it's clear
And a bird on the tide
Oh, please don't cry
Let me dry your eyes
So tell me that you will wait for me
Hold me in your arms
I promise we never will part
I'll never sail back to the time
But I'll always pretend you're mine
Though I know we both must part
You can live in my heart